Friday, July 5, 2013

AND SO IT BEGINS...

Hi Everyone!!

Welcome to the begining of a new Crazy Chris adventure!! I am trying my hand at stop motion animation and thought i would share my studio set up so far! its all still in the very early stages and no projects have been designated as of yet. Everything you will see as far as set pieces and puppets are simply for practice. 


Stop motion requires your stage base to be fairly heavy duty in order to provide a stable unmovable surface to your tiny world. I had several ideas but then came across this super heavy duty shelving system which actually bolted to the floor.



  Its various shelving rungs allows me the luxury of setting up at virtually any height i need. They would even allow for glass or plexiglass shelves for a multi plain set up! (Note: The inner lip would make it simple to add the glass)




I then added a piece of MDF cut to fit perfectly for the width of the shelving. It is held in place by 2 sturdy vice clamps on either opposing corner. This allows me to move it or exchange it anytime i want!


Also my slider and gearhead fit nicely on the edge for special shots








I plan on doing a lower level of MDF on a shelf directly below my stage as a secondary lower ledge for the slider. This will allow upshots as if shooting from the floor of the set.

Next i began setting up my fabrication/puppet building work station which has quickly grown from a neat and tidy workspace to a sloppy mess. But its my favorite spot in the whole house!













I needed something to practice animation so i came up with a simple blob of clay type character (wire armature covered in foil then covered with an outer layer of plasticine clay. Then I gave him a shirt and a hat to class him up a bit. And added a small grocery cart for a touch of fun!













I then began work on setting up the camera , lighting and set decoration as well as installing my computer and software. This is all still a work in progress but so far so good! 


















The shelving works out fantastic because the upper shelf is great for rigging my smaller LED pin spots for specialty lighting needs. And all the chords quickly and easily zip tie to the various railings










I am so excited to continue my journey and bring lots of little characters to life!! Watch this space for more stop motion animation fun in the future!

crazy chris

 



No comments:

Post a Comment